What is a letter?
A letter is a piece of hand writing or printed text addressed to a recipient and sent by mail.
A letter is a writing or printed message normally sent by post in an envelope.
Therefore letter writing is the process of exchanging information, ideas and feelings through writing. By letter writing, friends, family members, relatives, co-workers, subordinates, bosses and government officials can communicate effectively.
There are different types of letters: These are such as social letters, business letters, application letters, letters to the editors, Complaint letters, etc. All these and other types of letters perform different roles.
TYPES OF LETTERS:
- Application letters.
- Business letters.
- Social letters/friendly.
- Letter to the editor.
These are letters written when seeking an employment. They are very important as they help the applicants to secure the employment. And since they concern your career, they should be given sufficient attention and thought.
Application letters are generally one page at most in length and have a standard format.
- The first paragraph explains which job you are applying for and how/where you heard about it.
- The second paragraph briefly describes your most relevant qualifications and/or experience.
- The third paragraph explains why you want the job and why you think you would be good at it.
- The final paragraph says how you can be contacted and/or when you are available for an interview.
- Never write your name at the top of the letter.
THE OPENING STATEMENTS IN APPLICATION LETTERS
- In responses to your advertisement for the post of………………………………………..
- I have come to know through a reliable source that you urgently need the services of a receptionist.
- I wish to apply for the post of Sales Representative, advertised in the Daily News of 23rd July 2017.
- I have the honor to apply for the post of Purchase office advertised in yesterday’s Sunday News.
- I have the honor to respond to your advertisement of yesterday’s Majira Newspaper for the post of Human resource officer.
- With reference to the Guardian Newspaper of 5th August, I would like to apply for the post of Assistant lecture at your University.
CLOSING STATEMENTS APPLICATION LETTERS
- If offered this job, I would do my best to win your confidence through hard and sincere work.
- I look forward to hearing soon from you.
- I wonder if you would kindly give me an opportunity to present my candidature in detail in person.
- I look forward to an early interview at your convenience. Yours faithfully.
- I look forward to hear from you soon, and to be given an opportunity to present my credentials in interview. Yours faithfully.
OTHER USEFUL EXPRESSIONS IN FORMAL LETTERS
– Further to my later of 25th November 2017.
– Perhaps you would be kind enough to let us know……………..
– I enclose with this letter copies of my certificates.
– We note from your letter of 2nd January 2015 that………….
– We are wondering whether……………..
E.g. We are wondering whether you have perhaps concentrated too much on the academic aspects of the matter.
– We trust that…………….
E.g. We trust that the payment will be made before the end of this month.
– Hoping to hear from you soon…………….
– Thank you once again…………………….
– A waiting an early reply……………..
– Looking forward to hearing from you soon…………..
FORMAT OF OFFICIAL/FORMAL LETTER
1. SENDER’S ADDRESS.
Mazinyungu Secondary School,
P.o. box 23416,
11th August 2015.
- RECEIVERS ADDRESS,The Class Master,Form Three Girls,
- HAEDING OF THE LETTER.
E.g. RE: FAILURE TO SIT FOR ENGLISH TEST.
- BODY OF THE LETTER.
I am writing to form you that I was not able to sit for the last week announced English test. I was very sick suffering from Malaria and I had to attend the medical check – up.
- COMPLEMENTARY CLOSE.
An application letter regardless of their purpose, consist of the following parts or elements:
- Writer’s/ sender’s address – this is written on top right hand corner. This part is also called a letterhead.
- Date – (this is under a sender’s address), it shows the date of the letter i.e. the day in which the letter was written.
- Reference number (= if any) on right hand side below the date.
- Receiver’s / sender’s address – this is written on left hand corner /side. It consists of the name or title of the person, place of business or any place where the letter is intended to reach.
- The salutation; this is the greeting that begins the letter. Use dear Sir/Madam if you write to someone whose name you don’t know i.e. he or she is not known to you.
- Heading; it should be very brief starting with RE: or REF:-the heading should carry a message (theme of the letter. It should be capital letter and underlined it if is handwritten but do not underline if it typed, bold it.
- Body /message -it contains the message or the information of the letter. It is most important part which requires good flow of ideas and well punctuated.
- Complementary close. -it consists of the words of respect to show the feeling of the writer of the letter towards his/ her correspondent / receiver of the letter. It should also relate with the salutation.
- Signature of the writer.
- Full name plus the name of the company, office or firm which the writer represents, written at an extreme end of letter. Although sometimes a company name may be written above the letter.
EXAMPLES OF APPLICATION LETTERS.
P. O BOX 12567,
Dar es Salaam.
13th March 2018.
Magae Language Institute
P. O. BOX 60435,
RE: APPLICATION FOR THE POST OF A TRANSLATOR.
I have come to know through a reliable source that you urgently the services of some translators and interpreters.
I am 30 years of age with Bachelor’s degree from the University of Dar es salaam and presently employed with Top Travel ₰ Tours as an interpreter and translator. My main job here is to work as a guide – interpreter with foreign tourists and visitors especially from Asia, Europe and America.
I can read, write and speak fluently Chinese, English, French and Japanese. I have obtained a degree in translation and Interpretation of these languages from the University of Dar es salaam. I have also translated the book of “Houseboy” from French into English and Japanese languages and this has been acclaimed as a creative work of translation.
Although my present employers are fully satisfied with my work and conduct, but I realize that here is no opportunity for creative translation and further promotion. As I am keenly interested to upgrade my career, especially in creative translation, I have decided for a change.
I would be glad to provide you a couple of excellent references at the time of interview. I look forward for an early interview so that the matter may be discussed in detail and I may put before you other relevant data in regard to my long experience and expertise in the line.
- Write a letter to the General Manager of Mbeya Cement Company Ltd., P.O.Box 400, Mbeya on a vacancy for secretary. Say you are ready to work as a secretary. Your address is 14, Songwe – Mbeya.
SONGWE – MBEYA.
20th October 2016.
The General Manager,
Mbeya Cement Company L.T.D,
Dear Sir/ Madam,
REF: APPLICATION FOR SECRETARIAL VACANCY
Please kindly refer to the caption above,
I am humbly writing to apply for the above mentioned post which was advertised on the Sunday Nation of 28th September, 2017, I am very much interested in it and I believe that I have the necessary qualities to excel in the job.
I am an active Tanzanian young man aged 25 years old. I finished my Form Four education at Vuchama Islamic Seminary in the year 2010 where I passed with division three in my National examinations. Then after, I joined Barongo Junior College where I took short secretarial courses and worked at Bi Kirembwe Institute as a Secretary for one year.
After having worked for one year, I later joined the University of Dodoma for further studies pursuing Diploma in Secretarial Management and graduated last year with G.P.A of 3. 5.
My core identifying features are self motivated, cooperative, punctual and confident in nature. I am good at computer literacy especially programs like Ms words, Excel, Power point with a very good typing speed.
Your wonderful performance as a leading Cement Company in the country is what has impressed me to apply for this post plus the fact that I am always interested in working under challenging environment.
If I am given this chance, I hope to take the company at a more advanced stage of success that it had never experienced before. I hope my application will meet your positive consideration and I am eagerly looking forward to hearing from you soon. Enclosed with this letter are the copies of my academic certificates. Don’t hesitate to contact me at any time for more information.
2. A monthly test results of Form Three showed there was a miserable failure among the students particularly English subject. This fact makes the Subject teacher furious. Write him a letter of apology and commitment that you will perform wonders in the coming exams. Your teacher’s address is Ahlulbayt Islamic Seminary, Department of English, P.O.Box 137 Kigoma Sign your name as Asinjo/Wanjiro.
Ahlulbayt Islamic Seminary,
13th April 2015.
Ahlulbayt Islamic Seminary,
Department of English,
RE: REGRETFUL ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF FAILURE IN EXAMS.
I am extremely sorry that I could not keep my promise which I previously made to you the very first day I joined this class. We had so many wonderful plans together which could bring the sweet fruits of academic excellence. It is from this meeting when I gave you a promise of performing wonders in my form three exams.
Sir, I really don’t know how to express my regrets and remorse for my poor performance in my monthly test in general and English subject in particular. Actually the results shocked me a lot and I couldn’t bring myself to believe what happened to me. The simple word I can say is “I can hardly believe it” I really wonders how it happened. I remember I had been an exceptional student and have scored uniformly so well in form two class.
As for now, the reason why I have such a poor and disgusting performance in my monthly test may be the fact that I had been too busy for nothing. I had very poor preparation before the exams, I did not have my individual time table, no group discussion and I used to spend most of my time chatting with my friends over internet. When my father saw my results, he was as fierce as a mad dog. He reproached me for two hours and he nearly split my head in two.
Sir, I have now come back to my sense, I have realized my mistake and made up my mind now. To prove my words, I have decided to join the school camp and I have already formed the group discussions with my classmates. For now on, my aim is to study very hard so as to get distinction in all my future exams. This is because I now have come to believe the English saying which reads “Make hay, while the sun shines”
In as few words as it takes, I again want to underline the fact that the above unexpected turn of events which prevented me from keeping my promise with you, never will they have any room to me.
I wish there were better word than sorry to express my deep feelings of regret for my betrayal and disappointment. I hope you will understand and forgive me since you are as forgiving as Uncle Araali in the Passed like a shadow, the very interesting novel you taught us in the class.
Your obedient and lovely student,
3. The Managing Director of T.T.C.L Company P.O.BOX 200 Kigoma is looking for a form four leaver to apply for the account clerk post. You as a form four lever apply for the above post. Use your name as Benjamin Miliwato of P.O.BOX 150 Tanga.
The Managing Director,
RE: APPLICATION FOR A POST OF ACCOUNT CLERK
The heading above is much concerned.
I am a boy Tanzanian citizen aged 22 years old with a Certificate in Business Administration and excellent skills in Accounts.
I am with honor to apply for the post of Account clerk in your esteemed institution as was advertised in The Citizen of 26th February, 2015.
I have enclosed my CV, copies of certificates, and contacts of my referees for your ready reference.
I hope my application will be positively considered.
4. Write a letter to the Managing director, The Big T company L.T.D, P.O.Box 090 Mwanza. Apply for the post of an accountant as it was advertised in the Sunday News of 21st April, 2014. Sign your name as Mchapakazi bora (Your address is P.O.Box 372 – Mji Mpya, Dodoma).
Mji Mpya, Dodoma.
7th June, 2014
The Managing director,
The Big T Company L.T.D,
RE: APPLICATION FOR THE POST OF AN ACCOUNTANT.
In response to your advertisement for an accountant in the Sunday News of 21st April, 2014, I wish to apply as a candidate for this post.
I am a young and energetic person of 20 years of age with credits in Book-keeping, Commerce and Mathematics in my ‘O’ Level examination. I have already some experience as an assistant accountant as I worked with Barongo Enterprises Company Ltd., Dar es Salaam for a period of over a year on part time basis.
However, I had to leave the job on account of some family circumstances. I have also done typing course and possess a certificate with grade A in typing and possess a typing speed of 50 words per minute. My former employers would be glad to give a reference for me.
If offered this job, I would do my best to win your confidence through hard and sincere work.
I look forward to hearing soon from you.
- Write a letter to the Managing director, The Big T company L.T.D, P.O.Box 090 Mwanza. Apply for the post of an accountant as it was advertised in the Sunday News of 21st April, 2014. Sign your name as Mchapakazi bora (Your address is P.O.Box 372 – Mji Mpya, Dodoma).
- The Managing Director of T.T.C.L Company P.O.BOX 200 Kigoma is looking for a form four leaver to apply for the account clerk post. You as a form four lever apply for the above post. Use your name as Benjamin Miliwato of P.O.BOX 150 Tanga
- Imagine that you have just finished your first degree course in Agriculture and you wish to seek a job at Clove Plantation Company, P.O.Box 2109 Pemba. Write a letter to the Manager, asking for a post of Agricultural officer. Sign your name as Pendo Kipingo.
SOCIAL CORRESPONDENCE/INFORMAL/FRIENDLY LETTERS
The informal letters are normally written to our friends. These ones don’t follow any rule. They can be written the way how someone wants.
FRIENDLY/PRIVATE/PERSONAL LETTERS: These are those letters which are written to friends, relatives or acquaintances. They are therefore written in a free – and – easy manner.
FORMAT OF INFORMAL/FRIENDLY LETTER
Mazinyungu Secondary School,
P.o. Box 23416,
11th August 2015.
- BODY OF THE LETTER.
The aim of writing this letter is to ask you send me some money for bus fare as we expect to close school very soon. Many kisses and hugs and a heap of love for my young brothers and sisters there at home.
- COMPLEMENTARY CLOSE.
Your loving sister/brother,
EXAMPLES OF FRIENDLY/PERSONAL LETTERS
- Write a letter to your best friend Aboliga the Frog living in Zanzibar telling him/her about your plans of studying very hard if you succeed to join Form Two in the next academic year 2017. If possible ask him/ her to send you some stationery like pens, books, ruler and other properties like school bags and mathematical set.
KICHANGACHUI SEC SCHOOL,
15th MARCH, 2016.
My dearest friend Aboliga the Frog,
I feel more than delighted to have this brilliant opportunity once and again of writing you this letter. First of all, let me please know how you and your family are. What about the little kids Junior, Muga and Maki? Are they all fine?
Back to me, I’m good and I continue well with my family only that Aunt Mwana was a little sick two weeks ago but thanks God she is all Ok right now and back to work as usual. As for my twin sisters Hafsa and Mwanaisha, they have just come from attending their Form Four graduation ceremony the moment I’m writing down this letter.
Dear Aboliga, I’m very sorry for having taken so long in replying your letter you wrote me about a month ago, you know I’m a bit busy getting prepared for my terminal exams at our school.
The aim of writing this letter is just to tell you about my plans of studying very hard if I succeed to join Form Two in the next academic year 2017. You know here at our school, we have something what we call screening in which students are required to attain the school required average to join the next class. For those students who fail to meet the required average will have only two alternatives, whether to repeat a year or quit the school, please pray for me to do well in my exams.
Apart from that, I have a special request to you my dear special one; I’m kindly asking you to send me stationery like pens, books, rulers, mathematical set and school bags when I let you know of my positive results.
Love you more and miss you much,
Your one and only best friend,
Ps: I’ll send you some of my pictures of school trips at Ngorongoro National Park in Arusha caves, hope you’ll enjoy much. Take care, see you then and bye!
Write a letter to your former friend who got transferred to another school last term. Tell him about the progress you have made in your studies, the part you have been taking in sports and other activities that have taken place at your school since he/she transferred.
Write a letter to your friend telling him/her what activities you will engage in at home during your holiday. Sign your name as Juneid Ally/Alwiya Issa and your friend’s name is Omary Siraji/ Shukuru Muhsin.
Write a friendly letter to your brother Mr. Kinga who stays at Singida. Ask him to send you a bus fare as you are expecting to close the school for the holiday. Use the following guidelines.
Your younger brother, Desa Kipanga, has been offered a place to form V at Changanyikeni Secondary School and has decided to take a job straight. Write him a letter to persuade him to change his mind, lest he regrets his decisions in future. Sign your name as Shukuru Kipanga.
Write a letter to your pen pal Sawak describing to him/her about mountain Kilimanjaro in Africa. Talk about its peaks, beauty and its attraction to people from outside Tanzania. The aim of your letter should be to attract your pen pal to come and see the mountain. Use the following name and address; Dotto Masanja, P.O Box 15, Mwanza.
LETTER TO THE EDITOR
A letter to the editor is a letter sent to a publication about issues concerning from its readers, Letters are intended for publication.
In many publications, letter to the editor may be sent either through conversational mail or electronic mail.
Writing a letter to the editor is often the easiest way to get your message in print and the letter pages of some publications are often the most widely read sessions of publications.
A letter is usually written to educate the reader or to make them look at an article published in the news paper or magazine in different way.
In general, a letter to the editor is published if the writer:
- Wants to present expert opinions or additional information on something published earlier.
- Has been offended by something published in the paper.
- Disagree with something that was published.
- Wants to offer an interesting opinion about different news events
- To complain about something.
The format of writing this letter can be a bit different from what one has experienced to. It is unique though it is a kind of official letter. The name and address of the writer is written at the bottom of the letter while addressee is written on top immediately after the date.
Normally letters which are sent to the news papers are addressed to the editor, information follows the addressee. The proper form of salutation is dear sir or madam and rerally Dear Sir though in some situations, the writer can address the editor as Sir or Dear Madam or can just write Dear Editor.
The heading of what intended to be addressed is written below salutation. Then the writer has to deal with the main body where he/she has present including suggestions, opinions, disagreements or support.
The letter may refer to an article, editorial opinion or column in the publication. Alternatively, the letter may comment on a public statement or a recent news event.
FORMAT OF A LETTER TO THE EDITOR
14th June 2017.
The Daily News,
P. O . Box 338899,
Dar es Salaam.
Re; DRASTIC MORAL DECAY IS A SOCIAL DISEASE.
5. INFORMATION (The content of the letter).
6. Your name and
P.O. BOX 123
FORMAT ON HOW TO WRITE THE LETTER TO THE EDITOR.
The letter to the editor must be written using the following format
- The date from which the letter was written. This appears on the top right hand corner of your letter.
- Sender’s address/receiver’s address: This appears on the top left hand corner of the letter. Example,
P.O. Box 1111,
LETTER TO EDITOR
18th May 2017.
THE SUNDAY NATION,
P.O. BOX 2000,
DAR ES SALAAM.
SCARCITY OF DRINKING WATER.
Through the columns of your newspaper, I wish to draw the attention of the Municipality Corporation of Dodoma to the scarcity of drinking water in our district. The problem becomes severe in the summer season. But this summer, it has become very acute. A lot of water is needed in every household in such season. But for the last two months the residents of our district have been facing great scarcity. We get water supply only for one hour in the morning and one in the evening. This is not sufficient to meet the needs of even a moderate size family. During these two hours of water supply also, the pressure of water is also, the pressure of water is so low that it does not reach even the first floor of a house.
Thus, people are having a tough time during this summer. Sometimes people have to go without bath for two or three days in a stretch. The Municipal Corporation is requested to pay urgent attention to the inconvenience of the general public and ensure better and regular water supply.
Thanks in advance,
P.O. BOX 4563,
30th September 2017.
TANZANIANS SHOULD INVEST MORE IN AGRICULTURE
Tanzania is a country whose economic activities to a large extent depend on agriculture. More than half of people earn their living through agricultural activities.
Recently, it has been experienced, the fleeing of people from rural areas to big cities looking for jobs in industries and other sectors. Several factors have been mentioned leading to this including the changes in climatic condition which leads to shortage of rainfall.
Other factors have been connected to globalization where by foreign investors largely focus on industrialization and companies whose major product are not surely focused on crops from farms but sometimes products from outside the country.
Another is lack of constant and trusted market value from outside which leads to price fluctuation. This has discouraged most farmers and hence leaving on the hands of the leading government.
The government should take appropriate measures on this matter including educating its citizens and assist them by cutting down the price. It should be born in mind that Agriculture is the backbone of the national development.
RE: TIME MANAGEMENT IN PRIVATE SCHOOLS
Sir/Madame it is high time steps should be taken to all private schools on student’s time management. Most of them are over working the students by the preparation of a timetable which is not giving a student time to rest, for example in a certain school instead of periods having 40 minutes for a single period and 80 minutes for doubles, it 1 hour and two hours instead and no of periods are still the same.
I hope the public, parents and government as education stakeholders can make changes through this writing.
What’s up i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anywhere, when i read this paragraph i
thought i could also make comment due to this sensible post.
Hello! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before but after browsing through some of the articles I realized it’s new to me.
Anyways, I’m definitely happy I stumbled upon it and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back
Hello, all is going well here and ofcourse every
one is sharing facts, that’s truly good, keep up writing.
If some one wants to be updated with most up-to-date technologies afterward he
must be go to see this web page and be up to date every day.
Have you ever considered about including a little bit more than just your articles?
I mean, what you say is fundamental and everything.
But think of if you added some great photos or video clips
to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent
but with pics and videos, this blog could undeniably be one of the best in its niche.
We stumbled over here from a different page and thought I might as well check things out.
I like what I see so i am just following you. Look forward
to finding out about your web page for a second time.
I feel that is among the such a lot important information for me.
And i’m satisfied studying your article. However should
observation on few general issues, The site style is great, the articles is in point of fact excellent : D.
Excellent task, cheers
This paragraph is actually a good one it helps new web people, who
are wishing in favor of blogging.
Hello i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anywhere, when i read this piece
of writing i thought i could also make comment due to this sensible
piece of writing.
Howdy! I understand this is sort of off-topic but I needed to ask.
Does building a well-established website such as yours require
a massive amount work? I’m brand new to blogging however I do
write in my journal on a daily basis. I’d like to start a blog so I will be able to share my
personal experience and thoughts online. Please let me know if you
have any kind of ideas or tips for brand new aspiring bloggers.
bookmarked!!, I love your blog!
Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as I provide credit and
sources back to your blog? My website is in the exact same area
of interest as yours and my users would truly benefit
from some of the information you provide here. Please let me know
if this ok with you. Thanks!
I am in fact thankful to the owner of this web page who has shared
this wonderful paragraph at here.
Great article.Much thanks again. Really Great.